Skip to main content

First Haircut

She'll be 2 1/2 in a couple of weeks, and today was Elisabeth's first haircut (unless you count the little trim of her bangs last month. I don't). I found myself being the sort of mother I didn't think I'd be: not wanting to cut my child's hair for emotional reasons. "She doesn't need a haircut--it's baby hair!" But now that the weather is getting warm and I see her sweaty little head and curls that stick out to the sides, I finally gave in. Here are some before pictures, taken yesterday:




See those precious locks! How could I cut them off? That goodness for Texas humidity. On dry days they look more like this:


I told Elisabeth on Sunday that we would get her hair cut today, and this morning we talked about it a lot. I told her she would sit in a big chair and have a cape around her neck and would see herself in the mirror. I was sure she would cry and wiggle or be afraid of the stylist or something. We went to the YMCA this morning, and when I picked her up from childcare, she came running over to me saying, “Go get your haircut!” I took that as a good sign, but I was still sure there were some rough spots coming. I also thought, as a nostalgic mom, what if they mess up her haircut? But I realized if I could think a girl with crazy frizzy curly sweaty hair was precious, then a funny haircut wouldn’t change anything.
We arrived at City Cuts, right next to the grocery store, Elisabeth still exclaiming, “Go get your hair cut!” Once inside I told the stylist that this was Elisabeth’s first haircut. She must have just finished cutting a child’s hair, because she had a little cape/gown in her hands, with animals all over it. She put a booster seat in the chair and I plopped Elisabeth in the chair. She was amazingly still. The first thing she wanted was her snack (as promised—my little means to keep her still). The scissors came out and the stylist (I mean, can you call her a barber? It just doesn’t seem the same) snip snipped the hair. She carefully saved some, and I was snapping photos the whole time. I didn’t cry, but I felt a funny nostalgic sensation. It was just over a year ago that she still hardly had any hair at all, and now we’re cutting it off! I was surprised at how I felt, and yet . . .the end result was still my precious Bitsy! The stylist even blew it dry a little bit, and still Bitsy just sat there, looking at herself in the mirror.

I never thought a first haircut would be one of those landmark days, but somehow for me it is. Just a little something that hasn’t been altered has now been altered. It is also the first of many haircuts, and that is the sign of continuing change as well. Also with the warmer weather, Elisabeth’s been wearing some of her dresses from last summer (which extended into October) so they still fit, but are quite a bit shorter. It just shows me in one more way how much she is growing up! The other day I put a shirt on her and it was too tight. I said, “Elisabeth, you just keep growing, growing, growing! Say, ‘That’s what little girls do, Mommy.’ “ Obediently she said, “That’s what little girls do, Mommy,” and added, “grow up into BIG girls!” Oh my. Today after getting her big girl haircut she wanted to wash her hands by herself for the first time ever. Normally she doesn’t like to wash her hands at all.

Thanks for reading. Love, L

Here's a couple more pictures: all dressed up for church . . .and getting ready to ride to church in the bike trailer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...