Skip to main content

Tired and excited













It has been a long and exhausting day of preparing to leave for Germany. I didn't realize how much work had to be done before the packers even begin! Now that our documentation for insurance is finished, I can breathe a little bit. I'm breathing, and reflecting on the blessings God has given us in the time we've been here. So many friends and neighbors who have taken care of us--shared this great area with us, hugged us in our joy and in our grieving, brought us meals and cookies, watched our kids. This is community. I will miss you, Woodlands friends. Pictured is the fabulous cake that Jenny made for our farewell party on Sunday. I've never had a globe cake before!

I found our temporary apartment on Google maps today. It is in Celle--a 20 minute walk to work for John, and a 40 minute (minimum) car ride to school for Elisabeth. This is not our ultimate plan. We will be looking at homes in Hannover, close to the International School-Hannover Region. I still have an inner conflict at choosing to enroll Elisabeth in the International School versus the German school, but I know there are positives to both, we've made our decision, so now we shall stick with it and see what happens. I'm nervous about getting Elisabeth to school from such a long distance away. I'd like to do a trial run if we have time. We are going to bring her scooter (not motorized!) in the air shipment, so we'll hopefully get it within a week of arrival. The bike will come by boat (in a month or so). I saw kids riding their scooters and taking them on the train as well, so I thought that might be easy for her. We arrive August 14th and school starts on the 18th at 8:25.

We'll be staying in a furnished apartment for a month until our shipment arrives and we find a place in Hannover. We hope this all happens by mid September. I was stressing today, wondering if I set aside all the right things for our month in Celle, but then I just realized that if we don't have it, we'll get along without it somehow (or go buy one like it!) A friend said it will be like Christmas when our shipment arrives. Right now I'm picturing the chaos of Christmas--all the wrapping everywhere and thinking, "Now where will we put all this stuff?" Ah, stuff. Too much is made of it. John said he'd be happy if it all fell into the ocean on the way over, but I'm not sure I can go that far.

The kids were a bit crazy today. I haven't given them enough attention lately, with all the work of packing. But this morning, before I got to busy, I was just so excited, and started singing a good old 80s song. The kids laughed at my singing and dancing, and then I got pensive and a bit sad. I told Elisabeth, "I just might cry, you know, but that will be okay." Henry said, "Don't cry!" and jumped into my arms. He wrapped his legs around my waist and just stayed there for a long time, really hugging me. I hugged him right back. It felt so good. I said, "Anytime I'm going to cry, you just give me one of those big hug!" Then Elisabeth wanted to hug too, but we had to sit in a chair for that one. It was a good start to the day.

The other picture is Elisabeth with her brightest sunburn ever (this just after Mommy had a visit to the dermatologist! Oops). Next time I'll have to trump Elisabeth and put on the sunscreen myself. : )

Thanks for all your encouragement and staying in touch!



Laurel



Comments

Renee said…
Oh my goodness! Best wishes for the first day of school tomorrow. I hope you find an adorable home in Hanover. Thinking of you and your family.
Love,
Renee

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...