Skip to main content

Isernhagen-Sud becomes our new home









September 25, 2010

Pictured: a traditional German housewarming gift from my friend: bread and salt
Elisabeth and a few friends ready for cake!
walking in our neighborhood

Elisabeth turned seven yesterday. I ended the day in bed with a few tears. While we are gaining much in this move, I am feeling the losses as well. I miss extended time at home with Elisabeth and look forward already to homeschooling upon our return to the U.S. I fear that she will resist, just as she resists being friendly to me or Henry when she returns from school each day, having spent her energy traveling to and from school, cavorting with her friends, and learning, so I presume. But after thirty minutes or so--usually time alone, sometimes with a scolding, sometimes without, she is ready to enjoy her family again. I eagerly await her fall break which is two weeks in October which corresponds nicely to my mom’s visit.

Today John took Elisabeth into Hannover to explore. Henry and I have spent a lot of time there, it seems, so in honor of Elisabeth’s birthday, it was time for a daddy-daughter date. Meanwhile, Henry and I took the tram two stops to the grocery store and ended up at the Herbstfest--Fall Festival. Here you can have a fall festival in September and it feels like fall! It is a rainy day, so Henry was sporting his fireman rain jacket and boots. He looked fabulous (but John had the camera) and everyone was looking at him with smiles and saying with surprise, “Ah, there is the feuerwehrman!” I guess it was a bit unusual. Many kids have the same jacket from the same store. The girls’ jackets are red and pink and the boys’ are blue and light blue, some with a pattern of small skulls. Anyway, the festival was just getting set up so we had some time to wander while Henry waited for the carousel to be set up. I bought some rolls from a bakery and encountered my first sticky-fingered shopkeeper. I think he was unintentionally sticky fingered, but when he gave me my change--I had handed him a 50 Euro bill, which he didn’t appreciate--one of the five euro bills stuck to his fingers and landed back in the drawer. I saw it go, but then couldn’t count my change fast enough. It wasn’t until I was back home in the kitchen that I realized that I had lost five euro. I have to just chalk it up to the cost of transition. I shall add it to the cost of paying Ikea to assemble our purchases, the cost of buying salami that cost 9 euros (over $10, though it was really good), the cost of leaving newly purchased party invitations and supplies on the train. It is best not to keep a list, really.

I spent one euro for Henry to have two rides on the carousel then he played with some fabulous marble towers. They looked hand carved or constructed out of wood and were the most intricate I have seen. Other booths were set up by schools, churches and banks. All of them featured homemade cakes and goodies. I think in the states that would be a no-no these days, so it was fun to see the variety and the effort the local people put into this.

A word about our new location: our address is Hannover, so we do live in Hannover, but if someone here asks where we live, we say Isernhagen Sud. But we don’t feel like we live in Hannover. In a way it is more like The Woodlands, but not quite so far away. There are lots of trees here, it is on the north side of town, the street signs are really cute . . .we have big stores you can drive to, but my chauffeur husband hasn’t taken me there yet. But it is of course different from The Woodlands--smaller, quieter, access via public transportation, good bakeries, no Starbucks, no mall. We do have a wine store just down the street and John has already made friends with the owner. We have construction across the street, and older neighbors who walk their dog. On days when I am worn out from shopping, or navigating Hannover or whatever, I am always so glad to come home. It is a peaceful place. There are still big messes and lots of work to do (we have to turn the lights off in our bedroom when we change clothes at night--no curtains--kids have no overhead lights yet) but there is room for Henry’s train track and Elisabeth’s new playmobile set, and we even had room for a birthday party with eight girls plus Elisabeth and Henry. And the tiny oven was big enough to bake a cake, a good old traditional yellow cake with buttercream icing decorated like a butterfly.

We were just about to get on the tram with our groceries. I had been pulling them around all the while in my little black suitcase that sort of resembles the shopping bags here with wheels and handles that women use. I had bought chicken and sausage, but the day was cool so I thought a few extra hours outside wouldn’t be too harmful. But once again we had just missed a tram (the number 9 comes every 10 minutes) and I saw some fire engines. We wandered over to look at them and found out it was a parade that was just about to start. We decided this was worth the wait and soon enough it began. I was excited to hear what the band would play and imagine my surprise when I heard, “When the Saints Go Marching In.” Louis Armstrong had a big influence here I think. They played other songs after that, tossed candy, and even fresh rolls in bakery bags. Groups of men dressed in traditional suits marched along, and the parade ended with a small group of dogs leading their owners.

While we waited for our tram, Henry had one last time to play--a bouncy house set up by the grocery store. The look of delight on his face was enough to let me watch one or two trams go by before we headed home.


Wednesday September 29, 2010
By 9 AM the sun was shining brightly and there was not a cloud in the sky. It was a day to love life. We planned to meet friends at the Oktoberfest (not the Bavarian party you are thinking of--just a bunch of rides set out near the school, so every day the kids ask, “When can we go to the Oktoberfest? When?”) Meanwhile the sky has completely clouded over and I hope it will be just clouds, not the rain like we had on Monday. Henry is now well-outfitted with his rain pants, rain boots and jacket, but still he complained, “Mommy, the rain drops are falling in my eyes!” We soaked one stroller in the morning because of our errands, so I was happy to have a spare to use in the afternoon.

This morning Henry and I stopped at the store on our way home from taking Elisabeth to school. We get off the tram two stops before our regular stop. I have yet to take a car to the grocery store, and usually just make small trips every day or two. But yesterday I skipped going at all, and Monday I only got 1 Liter of milk, 1.5 Liters of apple juice and 4 peppers. So today my list was long. I walked passed the eggs and thought, “I need those” but I had already filled the little cart that Henry was pushing, and the basket under the stroller, so I thought I better wait. Then I paid for the groceries and began reloading things into the stroller, putting a 2 kilo bag of apples in my backpack. It was lumpy, but manageable. We eat a lot of apples. However, waiting to get on the tram, the bread from the bakery opened and spilled onto the ground. I just put it back in the bag. After all, the butcher lady had weighed and wrapped my meat using her bare hands, then gave Henry a piece of wurst--like baloney. Germs are different here I think. Then the tram came and I hoisted two bags of groceries inside the tram (luckily not busy towards the end of the line) while Henry climbed up eating a piece of bread. Then I tried to get the now heavy stroller in. I must explain about trams: These start above ground running on tracks--street cars. Then as they get close to the inner city they go underground. Above ground when the doors open, steps unfold, so you have to climb up two or three big steps to get in. Below ground there is a platform, so you enter and exit the tram on the same level. The steps aren’t needed. It is easier to enter and exit when there is a platform, but Henry much prefers riding above ground--so much to see. He has learned his numbers quite well by reading the numbers of the trams, and now knows how to read how many minutes until the next tram arrives.

Usually I can lift my black stroller up easily and put the top wheels into the tram, then push it further in while I climb up. If it has a few groceries it is more difficult, but doable. But the black stroller was still quite damp from Monday’s excursion, so we were using the hand-me down blue Graco which is older than my 7+ year old Graco. And heavier. And the basket is smaller and already overloaded. All that to say, I was having trouble getting it into the tram. The sign says if you keep your foot on the bottom step the doors will stay open, but maybe my foot was on the ground because the doors began to close, then opened again partly. I figured the driver could see me, so I wasn’t too alarmed, but it was beginning to be inconvenient. Just then a fellow passenger rushed over to me and helped me pull the stroller in. I was embarrassed for such a large shopping expedition. It is one thing to be helped with your stroller when there is a baby in it, something else to be helped when there is a sleeping three year old in it, but a walking, bread-eating three year old, and a stroller loaded with groceries in the basket is in a different class. I began to rethink my resistance to shopping every day. I also added mentally to my list for Saturday when John will drive me in the car to the Real. It is pronounced Reh-Al and is perhaps like Walmart. People seem to have a love-hate relationship with it. My great desire and wish and dream is to push a large cart, by myself, through the store one aisle at a time and put in everything I think I need, then happily load it back into the cart in a few bags (self-bagging here, and bring your own or prepare to pay for them) and then put it in the car. The problem may arise when I get home and find there is no place for all the toilet paper except under the study desk, and no room for the frozen foods at all. The milk, however, need not all be refrigerated at once, so perhaps I can stock up there.

These thoughts and many other serve to show me how American I am, or rather, how privileged an American I am. Where I’m from we take it not just for granted, but as a right that you have a car to take to the grocery store every day, to pick up your kids from school, and to drive as much as you possibly want. This is another post entirely, but I keep procrastinating on posting this, so I think I will stop now. There is more to write about of course:
John's day with Elisabeth
how our house showed us that we have too much stuff
how Rosetta Stone is slowly helping me communicate
how Henry’s first hours of kindergarten went (German kindergarten--ages 3-6)
how the rides went at the Oktoberfest
church
how our house is becoming a home, a peaceful place to which we look forward to returning
how I have to limit Elisabeth’s playdates so I see her from time to time


Good night!

Comments

I just found this and loved it. I need to remember to look for your blogs and not just trust facebook. :) What a fun treat this was.
Claudia Brice said…
Your writings are so familiar in their gist. You have nothing to fear about receiving help to get into a tram with a loaded up basket of groceries. People can be happy to help a needy mother...
Your understanding of war ...yes..it has a big effect on generations of people, and we Americans have little understanding of what it was like for those where the war took place... and the generations of men that were lost...let alone the destruction. I had mixed feelings when we visited Germany...Also 'they have different germs' ...so funny. You are doing fantastically - when your mom is there, you'll see it I think - how much you've learned. Wanting to just go home and be on your own or in an expat bubble - not surprising - maybe you'll see a blend occurring. Much love to you. Thank you for having Peter. We howled at his stories of the sleeping arrangements! I know that it will be remembered by all for a long time! Blessings, Claudia

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...