Skip to main content

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church

In Germany we have visited a number of German speaking churches--Lutheran, Reformed and Evangelical Free, but today in Warsaw I went with my parents to what they already, after one month of being here, refer to as "our church."  It is the Church of England in Poland, meeting in a Catholic chapel called Res Sacra Miser, pictured here.

There were certainly a lot of things for the kids to look at, a big change for these Protestant kiddoes.  Elisabeth sat on the pew with my parents and the three of them filled it up, so Henry and I sat behind them. The liturgy was printed on 2 sets of paper and it was a bit tricky to follow along, but it was so good and so needful to hear the word of God.  In my own language.  I don't think I realized until I looked at the liturgy, how hard it has been to not be at an English speaking church.  In truth I was refreshed.

We read together the Nicene Creed, which is more in depth than the Apostles Creed, which even in most Presbyterian churches is less and less often read or recited.

You may think of creeds and liturgy as empty and hollow, but for me it was just the opposite.  "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church"--I thought of the several places we have worshipped in Hannover and how we have received grace there, even though it did not fill every need, God's word is preached and sung.  Our vocabulary has grown, and our kids have learned Bible stories in German.  I thought of our church in The Woodlands and how we are one body together, Warsaw, Hannover, The Woodlands.  I was reminded that even in our disagreements we are still one Church, one in Christ.
"We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins."  I looked down at my son sleeping in my arms, and remembered his baptism and mine, grateful for the forgiveness of sins that we had recently committed just trying to get out of the apartment this morning--arguing, putting down each other, being selfish.  "We look for the resurrection of the dead" thinking of Tim, Grandmother, others, "and the life of the world to come."  Grateful that our worship is a foretaste of what is to come.  Grateful that we are held in God's hands, here, there and everywhere.

After the sermon we shared the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper together.  Dad carried Henry as we walked up front to receive the bread and wine, as Henry was still sleeping.  Elisabeth received the blessing from the priest, "May the Lord bless you . . .now and forevermore."  The assisting priest, from Nigeria, gave the wine and looked me in the eyes as he shared those simple and powerful words, "The blood of Christ, shed for you."

The closing hymn pointed us to Christ once again, with the words, "Christ is made the sure Foundation, Christ the Head and Cornerstone; chosen of the Lord and precious, binding all the church in one." 


I am glad that we can worship the Lord in Hannover, and I'm glad that my parents have a place to worship here.  Today I needed more than anything to be reminded of the glory of God, his majesty and power, and of the guidance that comes from his word, and the forgiveness of my sins in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...