Skip to main content

Clocks, Bugs and Birds

Time for Sun Hats!

Last night we changed the clocks and sprung forward.  Tonight I am realizing that we truly are in the northern latitudes and we will have a lot of light nights!  It is 7:55 and the sky is blue, though slowly darkening.  The sun set just 10 minutes ago.  


It doesn’t seem like very long ago that I was writing about the darkness that fell so rapidly, so that Elisabeth was home from school for less than an hour and it would be getting dark.  In January we walked together to her piano lessons at at 5:20 it was already dark.  Now here we are 2 1/2 months later and I am thinking perhaps I should’ve gotten the special darkening shades for the kids’ rooms, and perhaps even for my room.  Because after all, it is only March, and we’ve got til June before the days start getting shorter.  While I may sound a bit anxious about the sleeping part (oh, there goes Henry again, coming out of his room) I am overjoyed by the sunshine and look forward to sitting out on the patio with John, drinking a glass of wine and watching the sun set at  9 PM.  Because the kids will get used to it.  They just will.
I am rather bemused that I am so surprised by what is a fact of nature that has existed this way for eons. 
I have been noticing bugs.  Insects.  I think perhaps I missed them, or at least was so surprised by their absence.  In Texas we have someone from pest control come four times a year to spray for insects: cockroaches, earwigs, spiders, you name it.  But here we just open the windows and let the air in, not worrying about anything.  A few weeks ago a fly was in our kitchen.  “Look!”  I shouted to the kids,  “A fly!”  I hadn’t seen one since August I think.  
Wednesday was a startlingly sunny day and I noticed two yellow sulphur butterflies flitting under our awning.  It is a clear glass or plexiglass awning, so they were full in the sun, just bumping against it trying to get out.  I knew they would manage at some point, so I just enjoyed seeing their bright colors, greeting the spring.
Yesterday I took the kids outside with journals and pencils and said, “Let’s look and see what birds come in our yard.”  But of course we made so much noise getting out that we  scared them all away.  Instead we listened (well, Elisabeth and I listened while Henry drew an owl).  It was a chorus of different voices--I could pick out the mourning doves or pigeons like we have in Texas, but there are many new ones I haven’t yet identified, but I see them when the kids are safely away from the backyard.  I purchased a small bird book for kids in German, but haven’t made much progress with it yet.
Our Spring Boy, opening presents

Today I was looking through the ads, trying to make my grocery list for tomorrow, when I saw this ad and was just struck by its beauty.  If anything will make me want to eat healthy and work in the garden, this will!


Henry with his 2 race car cakes for Kindergarten.  He's been talking about these for months.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...