Tomorrow will be the 2 week mark of our re-entry to the U.S. I would like to be writing more, but in the meantime, here are just a few of my re-entry quandaries:
![]() |
| Even the laundry detergent is proud to be American. |
- I'm finally used to identifying myself when I answer the phone, the German way, but when I answer the phone here as "Stevens" or "This is Laurel" there is always a long pause while the caller orients himself. Much like I was orienting myself over the last 2 years.
- I tend to yield to traffic coming from the right.
- I have at least once opened the freezer door to cool myself off.
- I crave recycling.
- When the kids tasted the tap water (Leitungswasser) in the apartment they both exclaimed, "Cool! The water is sweet!" Um, glad you think so, kids. Tastes rather minerally (or worse) to me.
- I found it is easier to speak German than Pig Latin.
- I get nervous at restaurants, afraid that they'll bring the check too early and ruin the lingering that I've gotten so used to.
- I miss saying Tchüss.
- The washer and dryer are big enough to hide in.
- Why 12 eggs?
- I keep forgetting that the butter needs to go in the refrigerator.
- Americans don't really know what "Wasser mit Gas" is. If I ask for sparkling water, I get seltzer water. Not the same. Thankfully HEB stocks San Pelligrino, but even that isn't the same as Steinsieker (spelling?) and others.
- When Henry looked up from outside our apartment and saw the freeway overpass, he said, Mommy, is that the straßenbahn?
- I can survive shopping at HEB (Texas supermarket chain) because they have small carts, and the local produce has little signs that name the farm it comes from. When the small cart is full, we leave.
- I've given up on bread.
- I'm starting to get used to driving more, but I miss walking to the tram. That being said, I'm thankful I don't have to walk to the tram in this heat.
- When I shop I have to remind myself that someone will bag my groceries. Once I just couldn't help it, and I bagged them myself. The check-out clerk was so impressed and grateful.
- I need $11 change, and I thought I would get 1 bill and 1 coin.
- Elisabeth's teacher at IS-HR made us a CD that Henry calls "Crites CD." They both know the words to "God Bless Texas." We're also working on learning a German version of Sinatra's Fly Me to the Moon.
- We have found Bluebell and Ben and Jerry's and that is good.
![]() |
| My bathing beauty! |


Comments
It sure is nice having you around. :)
Praying you'll all do great in transitioning! Love, Jemima & Roland