Skip to main content

National Museum of African American History and Culture (just a taste)


I am sharing this week and in posts to follow a few influences--videos, books, people, places, stories--that have helped me notice my blindspots with regard to racial justice. The story is ever growing. In fact, sometimes the more I learn, the harder it is to write. So I'll just start here, hoping that if I tell one or two stories it could be a way forward to you reading or telling one or two more stories, and that could be a way forward for all of us.



In 2017, our family visited Washington D.C. My priority stop was the National Museum of African American History and Culture which had opened less than one year before, but I had not planned far enough ahead to get tickets before we arrived. So every morning of our five-day visit I logged on to the website at 6 AM to try to get five tickets (we had an exchange student with us). One morning I was able to get three. I wasn't sure how that would work out, but we figured we would go get in line for the other two and see what would happen. It was July, and hot. But the architecture of the new building was so stunning and my excitement was mounting to enter, so I didn't mind the rising thermometer. I had learned that the building was inspired by a three-tiered crown used in Yoruban art from West Africa. I was also drawn to the intriguing metal lattice that ensconced the entire building, setting it apart from the rest of the white marble buildings that line the mall. This is reflective of the detailed ironwork of enslaved African Americans in the south, in places such as Louisiana and South Carolina. 



But the waiting in line was so full of excitement--eager, hopeful. We were all hoping for each other to get in. Suddenly someone called out, "Does anyone need a single ticket?" I looked around, wondering if I should speak up. I don't even remember now how we got the other ticket, but somehow we did, and everyone around us was excited for us to get in--there was only joy in the shared prospect of getting inside this museum together for the first time. There was no sense of "I hope I get in before you." It was joyful and reverential.


As I'm working on these posts in fits and starts, John Lewis was laid to rest just last week. I watched his funeral with my parents. I did not realize it, as I stood out in the 9 AM blazing July D.C. sun, the lengths to which Civil Rights activist andCongressman Lewis had gone to bring this museum into existence. But the more I've learned about him over the last week, the more I am grateful for the road he paved, the bridge he walked and and the inspiring call to action he gave, even as he prepared to leave this world


Thank you Mr. Lewis. 


This museum deserves an entire post (or more) of its own, so I will return to it later. And in the meantime, as summer winds down, the museum is unfortunately closed due to COVID-19, but you can explore much of it online.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Morning An der Wietze

(I don't have pictures to fit this topic, so these will have to do for now!) Today is Tuesday. John’s alarm rang at 5:20 or so, and he pushed snooze as usual. When it rang the second time, we heard another sound after he turned it off--Henry crying for us. He has been having a hard time getting to sleep lately, and wakes up easily in the morning. We’ve tried a towel at the bottom of the door to hide the light, and even stuffed the keyhole with tissue paper. He still manages to hear something. John turned on Henry’s cd again and tucked him in and told him he could get up when the CD ended, which would be about an hour. I slept for a few more minutes, then got up to start the day. I have not adjusted to coffee here yet. For a while we had a good Starbucks stash, and there is a Starbucks by the main train station in Hannover, but it is so expensive. I thought I should try out some different kinds here. A new friend of mine who is German and lived in California for 20 years...

Bonn Ami

Beethoven in Bonn On Saturday we saw a little bit of Bonn, the former capital of West Germany.  In the morning we visited the Beethoven House    where Beethoven was born in 1770.  We walked around the tiny house for almost two hours, listening to our audio guides.  Our son, Mr. Numbers, made sure he listened to every track on his guide, all 32.  Elisabeth stopped periodically to draw pictures: the organ Beethoven played in a nearby church, two of the pianos he owned.  She said she wanted to go home and write music.  I was moved by the account, in Beethoven’s own words, of his hearing loss and his intense inner struggle.   We heard portions of his 5th and 9th symphonies as he would’ve heard them at the time they were first performed.  It was a barely audible muffled sound. Though Beethoven wanted to take his own life, he felt he could not, because of his burning desire to to the work he had to do, to write the music that was in his...

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

I first heard Bryan Stevenson, defense attorney and founder of Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) on a podcast with Oprah Winfrey .   I felt like I was sitting in a living room talking with a friend. I was immediately grateful for the stories Bryan told and for the honesty with which he told them. I was humbled. Growing up, I had put people in boxes--in categories in my head--if you're in jail it's because you're a bad person. If you do drugs, you must be a bad person. But when I learned about my older brother's drug and alcohol addiction and how that changed his life, the boxes I put people in began to shift and crumble, and that shifting has changed my life. Listening to Bryan Stevenson continued to shift the boxes--why are some people on death row, why are so many of them black and brown. Why are so many of them from impoverished backgrounds. Just Mercy tells the story of how Bryan Stevenson founded Equal Justice Initiative to provide legal representation for those w...