The Windhover, a publication of Mary Hardin-Baylor, has recently published an essay of mine entitled "Sometimes in Church." You can order a copy of The Windhover here and also see excerpts from the issue, including my essay, in Volume 24.2.
I wrote this essay before COVID-19 kept us from regularly meeting together in church, and rereading it has brought me back to a former time--before extra spaces between seats, before masks, before church-on-the-living room couch.
I miss singing in church and singing with fervor. Not just any song, although I do love singing Les Miserables and LaLa Land songs while Elisabeth plays them on the piano, and you'd be surprised at how many Stevenses can start belting songs from Frozen 2 all together.
I miss congregational singing. Yes, we sing along with the online church service, and that is very good. But it is not the same. I look forward, and with hope, to the time when we can all join in congregational singing again, without fear of infection, or unintentional spread of disease, without masks or hindrance.
"Song," writes Eugene Peterson, "is heightened speech. The heightening does not come through the addition of more words or turning up the volume of the words but by singing the words. So what does the singing do? It obviously does not add to the meaning, at least the objective, dictionary meaning. Something else is going on and that something eludes precise accounting. Song does not explain, it expresses; it gives witness to the trans-literal. Song is more than words and there are no words to convey what that 'more' is precisely. Song is one of the two ways (silence is the other) of giving witness to the transcendent."
Eugene Peterson, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places
Even as I long for a return to normalcy, I know that God is praised in song in so many beautiful diverse ways. I think of the way churches in so many cities have joined together virtually to sing "The Blessing"--New York, Pittsburgh and more. And then there are times of prayer when song erupts, because it simply has to. So yes, song, as Peterson writes, continues and will continue to give witness to the transcendent.
I'm quite excited that The Windhover has chosen my piece for their August issue. I hope you enjoy it.
Comments